Full-Time Finance Assistant
The Nathan Cummings Foundation (NCF) is pleased to announce a job opportunity for a Finance Assistant in the Finance and Accounting Department. This is a full-time position that is available immediately.
The Nathan Cummings Foundation is a multigenerational family foundation, rooted in the Jewish tradition of social justice and committed to creating a more just, vibrant, sustainable and democratic society. Located in New York City, NCF has assets of approximately $450 million and an annual budget of about $25 million. NCF has given away more than $425 million in the past 25 years and has earned a strong track record as a leader and innovator in the philanthropic community.
As a family foundation, the Board of Trustees is actively engaged in the affairs of the Foundation. Under the leadership of Sharon Alpert, the first female, and fourth president, the foundation is aligning its strategy, culture, and technology in building teams for its next successful chapter. In a work environment where people of diverse religions, races, ages, genders, sexual orientation, and backgrounds collaborate, the foundation encourages creative thinking and individual growth.
Known for tackling difficult issues that require moving hearts and minds, NCF takes risks on the unexpected, such as its fellowship that grants visionaries up to $150,000 to turn an inspired and potentially radical idea into a world-changing reality. NCF has a long history of aligning investments with values through shareholder activism and is exploring how it expands the tools it uses to direct NCF’s investment dollars for greater impact. While NCF’s work is primarily concentrated in the United States, it supports efforts addressing inequality in Israel and looks globally to make a strategic difference.
Board Committee Support
- Assist the VPF in work with the President and Board Committees, coordinating schedules & maintaining a calendar of key dates and action items to ensure all work remains on track.
- Assist the VPF by preparing various committee-related materials including: board correspondence, agendas, presentations, and reports. Be a thought partner as materials are developed.
- Record, transcribe and upload minutes of Audit, Finance, Investment and other Committee meetings.
- Assist Board members with travel arrangements to conferences or committee meetings as needed.
- Review expense reports submitted by Board members online. Follow-up with Board members as needed.
Budget & Forecast Support
- Work closely with VPF during the development of NCF’s annual budget, including analyzing historical trends and liaisoning with program and department heads to gather needed information.
- Maintain clear documentation of budget assumptions and rationale, for future reference.
- Respond to staff inquiries regarding budget, including the availability of funds and appropriate choice of account.
- Assist the VPF in preparing an updated forecast on a quarterly basis, incorporating actual expenses to-date and soliciting anticipated revisions from program and department heads.
Accounting Operations Support
- Assist Senior Accounting Manager with monthly analysis and processing of staff expenses.
- Assist Senior Accounting Manager with monthly closing as needed, including account research and analysis.
- Cross-train with Senior Accounting Manager to provide backup for Accounts Payable processing.
- Draft contracts and assist VPF in reviewing them.
- Draft tax-related correspondence for VPF’s review and signature.
- Provide support to Finance & Accounting Team during NCF’s annual audit.
- Prepare and coordinate audit confirmation letters as required by NCF’s auditors.
- Maintain an electronic file of all current and expired contracts.
- Maintain electronic files, by manager, of all investment-related documents (audited financial statements, periodic performance reports, notices of capital calls and distributions, etc.).
- Maintain electronic files of all tax-related documents & correspondence (Forms K-1, notices from the IRS, notices from states in connection with UBIT and routine compliance, etc.).
- Maintain general and confidential files and reference materials in VPF’s office.
General Administrative Support
- Make travel arrangements and, as needed, other logistical arrangements for VPF meetings and conferences.
- Participate in professional conferences as appropriate.
- Prepare VPF’s Expense Reports.
- Support the Finance & Accounting Team in routine office administrative work.
- Assist Receptionist with phone coverage as needed.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required; business, finance or related degree is preferred
- Previous experience in an office environment required; 2 to 5 years relevant experience is preferred
- Professional demeanor and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Mathematical acuity and basic knowledge of accounting practices
- Software proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office – especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Thrives working both independently and collaboratively in a collegial, team environment
- Dependable, respectful and consistently works to uphold high ethical and profession
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including retirement plan, foundation-paid medical and dental insurance coverage, generous vacation & holidays, and staff development funds and tuition reimbursement.
How to ApplyApplication process: Required Application Materials and Thought Exercise In addition to submitting your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references, we would like to evaluate how you approach your work, particularly in cases where the request or objective has been minimally defined. To help us, please prepare a response to the following two scenarios (max 250 words each).
- A foundation program director is interested in hiring a consulting firm to help her evaluate the impact of our grantmaking. She asks you whether we have funds available for her to do this. How would you go about responding to this request? What information would you need in order to answer her question?
- Bob Smith, a board trustee, just submitted a request for reimbursement of expenses he incurred while traveling to a conference on behalf of the foundation. After carefully reviewing his request, you notice that he is missing a receipt for one item. You also notice a dinner expense of $105 (the maximum that we generally allow is $90). Please compose an e-mail to him.
- Adobe pdf or Word format only.
- Please do not call or mail applications.
- All electronic applications will be acknowledged.
- All information is confidential.
1002 total views, 3 today